March 30, 2010

MUSIC: Official summer song of 2010


Last year's OFFICIAL SUMMER SONG was Mayer Hawthorne's smooth Detroit stylings on Just Ain't Gonna Work Out but now it must make way for a new song, new year.



The Bird And The Bee's album of all Hall & Oates covers has been playing on my iPod non stop these days. It includes one original song by The Bird and the Bee, titled "Heard it on the radio," which I now decree as the OFFICIAL SUMMER SONG of 2010!!!!!!

I find the lyrics to the chorus particularly lovely & appropriate:

Every time I hear it play
I think of you and those summer days

I can still remember
When I heard it on the radio

But Now we are September
Come on, forget what we know


"Now we are September..."- so it's essentially a song that reminisces about a bygone summer or bygone youth if you want to get all deep and stuff. I just like the idea of longing for those summer days that have past before the summer's even begun.